Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hi, My name is Charlie

Charlie is 8 months old, and in November, did a big jump onto the bench...and slid off the other side.  She landed on her side, twisting her leg underneith her. At first, I thought she had broken her leg, but she got back up and walked on it (although with a limp). The next day she went to the vet, who gave her antiflammes and suggested rest.


A week later, she was still limping and went back for an xray.  She had developed a luxating patella - essentially, every time she walks, she dislocates her knee.  She also has shallow hip sockets, so the dislocated knee pulls her hip out too.  This causes her lots of pain and is horrible to watch.


Since then, she's lived in a cage to try to heal the trauma in her leg.  It's been 11 weeks now, and last night, we were told that she will have to get a $1500 operation to fix her leg.  She needs the op within the next 2-3 weeks, or it is likely that she will develop arthritis as she gets older.



















I might be biased, but she's the cutest cat ever.





Here's the bank account I'm collecting donations for Charlie in.  I took out 10c and added in $5 so it was a nice even number.  I like even things.  Charlie doesn't mind.


The bank account number is:
Westpac
Charlie's Big Op 
03 0547 0271576 025


Please comment here if you make a donation, no matter how small.  And I'd appreciate it if people would RT or pass on the link for the blog :)


I will be taking screenshots of the account, so please use a reference you're happy having the world see.

I'll keep everyone up to date on how the fundraising is going and how Charlie is.



Thanks lots in advance, and hugs from Charlie

7 comments:

  1. I can't afford much at the moment, but I put in a bit from my expensive kitty and myself. <3

    Have you talked to your vet about a payment plan? Zalia's vet (Kelburn Pet Doctors) were happy to have my pay back her 3k bill at $10 a week- lovely, amazing people. Waived the interest for me cuz they knew I was a student.

    I paid it back at a higher rate, and with one big payment once my next student loan bit came through, but we've stuck with them even living on the other side of town cuz they were just amazing.

    Thinking of you and your darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey you should ring Lakeside Vet in Whitby - I am pretty sure that my kitty had that same injury in her hip and it cost half the price. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amie, Lakeside is where we went first, my aunty works there, so that's our usual vet. Julia thought it would be okay after cage rest, but when we brought her back after the cage rest was up, it just wasn't good enough for her to be happy with it.

    She doesn't do the op there - at least not the sort of thing that Charlie needs :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about Charlie its so hard when our feline buddies get sick or injured. We went thru a very expensive and scary time with our ragdoll late last year and then with our Persian Smudge when she got poisioned at Christmas so know how heart breaking it is. Tigga Smudge and I have made a small donation for Charlie and pray all goes well so you can enjoy many years of happiness together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, every little bit helps.

    The hardest thing is that you can't tell them it will be okay and you're doing everything you can to help them. It's so horrible to see them in pain or sick. It's also super hard because she usually sleeps in the bed, and she cries at night having to be in the cage. It's for her own good though, but she doesn't understand :(

    ReplyDelete